Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Gnome-shell Install Fail

Lucid Beta-2 and my biggest bug-bear with the Open-Source, freedom-to-bodge-it-yourself architecture...

The Beta-2 massive update completed and I decided to go back to the long-promised evaluation of Gnome-shell. So going to Software Center, I selected Gnome-Shell and got the resulting screenshot.
Opening the terminal to do it the old-fashioned way with an apt-get install, I get;

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  gnome-shell: Depends: libgjs0 but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

So I try installing libgjs0 to find out what's occurring, only to get;

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libgjs0: Depends: xulrunner-1.9.1 (<= 1.9.1.9~) but 1.9.1.9+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Away to find any outstanding bugs on the subject, I turn up;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/555155
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/509177

The recommended solution here and elsewhere (OMGUbuntu among others) works for me with this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing

The workaround being:

sudo apt-add-repository paa:ricotz/testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Which successfully installs.

Sadly, the test box then tells me I don't have enough texture mappers for it to run!!

2 comments:

  1. :(((

    Error: 'paa:ricotz/testing' invalid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, this is the thing with PPA's, they are *personal* packages archives and tend to bubble up and dissolve again just as quickly according to the whim of the user. Do a quick google search for gnome shell packages, I'm sure there are some updates out in the wild. RC

    ReplyDelete

At least try to be nice, it won't kill you...