Monday, 19 July 2010

My Lucid killed my GnomeShell

Version conflict?
 
Dependencies broken?
 
Or just too much like hard work?

Whatever the reason, when I ran a dist-upgrade on the Pentium-4 test box recently, Lucid Lynx 10.04 spontaneously decided of its own accord to remove GnomeShell! Granted it's not my favourite interface, deeply flawed in the current version, but for Lucid to take it out on it's own initiative?!

Question: just how does dist-upgrade decide what to keep and what to throw away? If I hadn't examined the list of packages affected, I wouldn't have known a thing until I tried to run GnomeShell next. Would the dist-upgrade have removed GnomeShell while it was running? This doesn't smell right.  RC

No comments:

Post a Comment

At least try to be nice, it won't kill you...