Regular visitors may notice that we have refreshed the template here on the Blogger site. Partly for a visual refresh and partly for functional reasons, we've finally left our original template behind to go with a feature-rich template Novato (itself based on Bloggerized).
The benefit of an established platform like Blogger is the wealth of free templates, code, gadgets and all-round expertise. I found this template at http://blogtemplate4u.com, alternatively http://www.premiumbloggertemplates.com, which feature templates for Blogger, Wordpress and other CMS...
Do exercise a little caution in the code you download and run.
The template Novato is adapted from a Wordpress theme, having options for 1 sidebar, 2 or 3 column footer, a featured post section with slider, fixed width magazine layout, tabbed sidebar gadget and top navigation bar. Much of the advanced functions run through jQuery. Released June 1, 2011 by coder/designer Lasantha Bandara. There are probably thousands of free templates around. The useful thing with Blogger is the amount of code vetting that goes on whenever you edit or upload templates and code. Malicous code is unlikely to make it onto the Blogger servers.
You can find these basic instructions all over the web.
- First download the template and unzip the file.
- Now, sign in to Blogger dashboard and click on the layout.
- After uploading any new Blogger template, all of the previous widgets like your google adsense ads,text, profile, poll, etc. will be dropped along with the HTML code contained in them.
- To avoid this, first click on 'Edit' on all your current gadgets and copy the code into notepad or another text editor, so you can reinstate them after the template change.
- Now click on the 'Edit html' tab
- First of all please Download Full Template.This is to back up your present template. If the new template that you are going to upload makes or gets into some error state, or if you make more complex errors in that,then you will loose everthing. So make sure that you back up your template.
- Just below that,there's an option of uploading new template. Use the Browse button and upload the template .xml file.
- A message will appear saying that your gadgets are about to be deleted. Click on Confirm & Save (not a problem as we already copied the gadget code in Step 3).
- Now click on "confirm and save". You successfully installed the new template.
- Click on the 'Page elements' page now and reinstate the gadgets (whatever code that you copied in step3) using the 'Add a Page Element' option. RC