Monday, 5 November 2012

How-to: Fix VirtualBox 4.2 Proxy Error


There is a slight kink in VirtualBox 4.2.2, namely in the default settings. Initially I got this error in alarming red text:

Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete.
Which is quite right; I don't use a proxy, and I suspect 95%-plus of VirtualBox users don't either.

Going to File, Preferences, I find the Enable proxy box isn't ticked. I'm not using it. So the proxy address and port number is empty. Why that is now a mandatory error condition I have no idea.


All I want to do is kill the error message.

My Workaround? In File > Preferences, on the proxy tab, tick "Enable Proxy" to unlock the host and port fields. Put 192.168.0.2 as the host and port 8080 (although as I'm not using it I could put anything in host and port), then you can untick "Enable proxy" to disable it. The values stay put, so the validation passes and the error goes away. RC

No comments:

Post a Comment

At least try to be nice, it won't kill you...