Sunday, 10 March 2013

How-to: Permanently Disable Bluetooth


<Start Rant>

Bluetooth: I don't use it. Bluetooth was always a half-hearted implementation of a semi-standard that didn't work properly. I have no Bluetooth devices, it's insecure and it wastes battery.

I turn it off and like the bloody Terminator, it keeps coming back. Why? Because in Canonical's infinite, Austen-like wisdom, any device in possession of a Bluetooth receiver must be in want of another Bluetooth device to partner. So however often you tell Ubuntu 12.04 to turn the bloody thing off, IT KEEPS COMING BACK ON!

I wrote one guide to disable it, but it seems Canonical is determined to tell me how to run my laptop as I'm clearly too stupid to decide for myself. I put the laptop into Suspend mode earlier (a rare thing), woke it up and Bluetooth was turned on again.

Time for drastic measures. Just remove the Bluetooth stack:



sudo apt-get remove bluez bluetooth

robin@G580:~$ sudo apt-get remove bluez bluetooth
[sudo] password for robin:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree     
Reading state information... Done
Package 'bluetooth' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages will be REMOVED
  bluez bluez-alsa bluez-gstreamer gnome-bluetooth gnome-user-share
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
After this operation, 5,216 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? robin@G580:~$ y


And it's gone. RC

</End Rant>

1 comment:

  1. thanks man. wireless stuff gives me headache, this was very helpful

    ReplyDelete

At least try to be nice, it won't kill you...