I may be preaching to the converted here, but care of Full Circle Magazine Issue-62 (June 2012), I alighted upon the site Why Linux is Better (whylinuxisbetter.net), created by Manu Cornet (profile on Google+).
Now you can just point people to the website instead of having to explain, for the hundredth time, why Linux is better (for most things).
A very simple flat HTML site, this is one of the best ways I know to spread the word on free software, and could be a masterpiece in Open Source literature.
Short but comprehensive, partisan but not too much, the main page goes through the points in favour of Open Source, each opening onto a separate page of more detailed description.
The One day with Linux screenshot tour is itself a mini-masterpiece.
After that, the page is a compendium of all the reasons to switch:
- Forget about viruses.
- Is your system unstable?
- Linux protects your computer.
- Don't pay $100 for your operating system.
- No more c**pware.
- When the system has installed, why would you still need to install stuff?
- Forget about drivers.
- Update all your software with a single click.
- Why copy software illegally if you can get it for free?
- Need new software? Don't bother searching the web, Linux gets it for you.
- Jump into the next generation of desktops.
- Does your digital life seem fragmented?
- Choose what your desktop looks like.
- Why does your Windows get slower day after day?
- Do something for the environment.
- No back doors in your software.
- Enjoy free and unlimited support.
- Too many windows? Use workspaces.
- No big mess in your start menu.
- Don't wait years for bugs to be solved; report and track them down.
- Are you tired of restarting your computer all the time?
- Let your old computer have a second life.
- Play hundreds of games for free.
- Help other countries, and your own.
- Use MSN, AIM, ICQ, Jabber, with a single program.
- Get a great music player.
- Keep an eye on the weather.
It also notes the few cases where you should stick to Windows (for now)
- There is proprietary software you can't live without
- You're a hardcore gamer
- You work in the book/printing industry
- Your hardware is not yet supported
I do like the aggressive Tux with the fly swatter waiting to flatten the Microsoft butterfly. Go take a look at whylinuxisbetter.net. RC